Last night was one of the evenings when I craved something different for dinner, but not sure what that might be. So, I inspected the fridge and the pantry and came with this. (I love creating something with only the ingredients on hand!)
Easy Sausage Roll
2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
1 lb sausage
1 small onion
1 pkg of frozen spinach, thawed
Note: This makes two sausage rolls. Halve ingredients to make one roll.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degreesF
2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray
3. Lay the puff pastry out to thaw on the cookie sheet. As it thaws, unfold on the pan. Work quickly through the next few steps so the puff pastry doesn't get too soft (will be difficult to roll)
4. Drain the spinach and squeeze out all excess moisture.
5. Fry the sausage and the chopped onion in a skillet until cooked through.
6. In a separate pan from the sausage, scramble the 6 eggs.
6. On one square of puff pastry, layer first half of the sausage/onion mixture, spread over the entire pastry. Drizzle Dijon mustard over the sausage. Next, layer on 1/2 of the spinach, followed by 1/2 of the scrambled eggs.
7. Work from one side of the pastry to the other. Gently lift and roll over the pastry approximately 1 to 1 1/2 times. Press ends of pastry together gently.
8. Repeat the process for the second roll.
9. Brush melted butter over the pastry.
10. Bake at 400degreesF for 10-15 minutes until pastry is cooked and brown.
11. Remove from oven and let sit for a moment or two before slicing.
Hint: Dip your slice in a little Dijon mustard while eating. It's great!